Wednesday, April 6, 2011

The Duck of Sabotage: the early leader and call for more stories


Quack! Don't you want me?
 I recently initiated a contest to draw out the most egregious stories of laboratory sabotage that I could find. The rules were as follows:
  • Submissions were to be put in the comments of the post or by private e-mail to chemjobber -at- gmail/dot/com
  • Submission deadline: May 1
  • Winner to be judged on most awful and true story of chemistry laboratory coworker sabotage that is best documented.
    • "Friend of a friend" isn't enough. One degree of separation is allowed, but no further.
    • No Sames/Sezen.
    • Contest winner cannot be perpetrator of sabotage. Confirmation by asking detailed questions by private e-mail will happen.
  • Winner to be determined by CJ and/or popular acclamation. (i.e. to be decided)
  • Use good judgment; if it's not your story to tell, don't tell it.
The winner would be awarded this lovely ceramic duck (now complete with pink sailor hat), filled with 100 most excellent Chemjobber business cards and the finest hard candies in all the land. My goal was to show that lab sabotage is relatively rare (and to get rid of this silly duck.) I also think it's important to hear from people who this happened to; the thought of someone sabotaging lab experiments is quite disturbing.

Since the post went up on March 23, there have been a number of commenters who told stories of lab sabotage, including what I would consider two official entrants. (Thanks to Derek Lowe for linking.) Of the eight stories* that were told, 4 of them were not from chemists, but from biologists. I assume that this is a statistical anomaly, but I find it a notable artifact. Stories included:
  • ac: "After killing a half dozen flasks of cells, the group in question decided to test all their media and fresh buffer solutions mixed up the night before, solutions that now had a pH somewhere in the 3.0 range. Seems someone had been going around to all the reagent bottles and dumping in a bunch of acid, or a bunch of base."
  • Anon032320110914p: " At one point buffers and solutions were being contaminated with foul smelling solvents so quickly and ubiquitously that foul play was suspected. Eventually they caught the disgruntled postdoc with hidden cameras and building entry logs."
  • qeztal: "One morning, a bunch of mice were found dead. Someone had put dry ice into their cages, which filled the cages with CO2 and asphyxiated them."
  • Pharma Microbiologist: "Then it took just a short while of watching and making some tests to realize what was going on. (My collegue starting a "fake" PCR run and leaving the lab with just X in it, for example.) It became very obvious that X was the person resetting the PCR machine."
There were, unsurprisingly, two commenters who told stories of chemistry lab sabotage but (probably rightly so) refused to talk further about it:
  • DrBlur: "Within the past year, a few of our close mutual friends, who were all working in the same group at the time, were having issues in their lab over a few years that went from minor (misplaced reagents, temperature fluctations during reactions) to major red flags (reagents contaminated/diluted on purpose, reagent bottles emptied and filled with solvent, etc). They became suspicious and set up hidden video cameras and caught the person in the group who was doing this multiple times over a couple of weeks, even deliberately setting up "dummy" reactions as bait."
  • Been There Done That: "This isn't a joke CJ. As a victim of a saboteur, it was the worst episode during my time as a chemist. You deal with self doubt, paranoia and anger for a long time after experiencing something like this. The violation of the trust that exists in a lab is horrible. It really rocks your faith in other people."
For what it's worth, I don't think it's a joke. Proven lab saboteurs should be exposed for the cruel people they are and potentially barred from working in a laboratory ever again. While the prize is jokey, it's merely meant as a signal that I'm really interested in hearing what people have to say.

Finally, there were what I consider two official entrants, neither of whom have written in to further confirm or divulge details of their stories:

Anon032320110403p: I have better than a trifecta:
  • Stolen intermediates later published without acknowledgment
  • Oxidants added to reactions (like milkshaken described)
  • Taking over the computer that you are working on using Carbon Copy and screwing up the formatting of your manuscript.
  • Taking my group meeting presentation, going and starting his own lab, trying to scoop me with his superior manpower.
Anon032720110733a:
Leaving a huge HyperChem optimization to run overnight; coming in to find that [someone] had removed the dongle to 'teach me a lesson about leaving the computer unattended'. Does that count?
I'm going to say that Anon403p is the early leader over these past two weeks, but we've got at least 3 weeks to go. I'm going to post this on ChemReddit to see if I can get some more stories.

*Not counting the union/management battle one. That's a whole 'nother kettle of fish.

16 comments:

  1. Hmmm...maybe you need a thread on management BS. It looks like there are a lot of stories out there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Seriously, that's a whole 'nother blog.

    ReplyDelete
  3. CJ, I'm glad you're still posting on this and getting it out in the open for discussion. It *is* a real thing that happens and can have an effect on all involved, from the victims to the advisors to the guilty party. It was one of those things I always heard about as a senior undergrad/young grad student but had never had firsthand encounters with until just recently.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My story is of biologists, but I'm a chemist deep down through and through, forever and always, as foolish as that is. Proteins and drugs are chemicals too!

    Actually, this was the only postdoc I could find. Biology seems to be the grant focus du jour.

    ReplyDelete
  5. ...and the sabotage itself was had a very chemical basis. Acid-base chemistry used for evil!

    ReplyDelete
  6. A possible explanation to your influx of biology saboteurs.

    http://scienceblogs.com/bioephemera/2011/03/are_biology_graduate_students.php

    ReplyDelete
  7. CJ, not to obfuscate the issue, but with regards to the story about the HyperChem optimization:

    Where do you draw the line between sabotage and teaching someone a lesson, as outlined in this entry on the Chemistry Blog?

    http://www.chemistry-blog.com/2010/07/09/chemists-purposefully-withholding-information/

    The ultimate purpose is the same; to teach someone the way to do things/not do things. However, one is considered sabotage and the other a good teaching tool. Just some food for thought.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Dunno. But I think a fairly clear line can be drawn when you actually physically touch someone else's experiment.

    How many times in the last year have you done that? i.e. How many times in the last year have you touched someone else's reaction/experiment without their prior knowledge or approval?

    My answer: less than 5, possibly less than 2. You?

    This boils down to the whole sins of commission/sins of omission thing, basically (N.B. Not Catholic, so I don't know if I'm using those terms correctly.)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Letting someone without a lot of experience fail when you could have stepped in and advised them isn't a teaching tool, it's being a tool, as far as I'm concerned. Why not tell them how stupid they are when they come in the next day, just to really drive the message home? Who cares how costly the reagents are? What does that have to do with anything?

    They don't listen to your advice, then they get what they deserve, but you have to give them that shot. Not intervening when you know something is wrong is BS.

    ReplyDelete
  10. For the most part, Y.P., I agree. It's rare that I've actually let someone pee on the electric fence.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sometimes don't you have to let people make their own mistakes?

    ReplyDelete
  12. Regardless of experience level, everyone makes mistakes on their own. Seeing an inexperienced person about to make one, and not lending some advice is simply being callous. You're not being a teacher there, you're being a dick, which is what they'd call you if you told them afterwards that you knew they were going to screw up, but wanted them to 'learn the hard way'

    What's the point in not trying to advise them? Isn't that what more experienced colleagues are for? I believe the term is 'team-work'.

    Again, if they ignore your advice, go right ahead and let them screw it up, maybe even the next time as well, but to turn a blind eye on someone getting ready to screw up is low class, in my opinion, but maybe I'm just not cut-throat enough...

    I could see a cynical 4th-5th year graduate student being that way, but most professionals would never let an intern or an inexperienced colleague set-up something incorrectly if they saw it. At least I'd hope they wouldn't.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm not trying to start an argument or accuse anyone of anything, I'm genuinely curious, so I apologize if the tone seemed that way.

    I can't say I remember a time I've directly handled someone else's experiment, unless they forgot to take something off the rotovap or something like that (CJ, I bet this is your experience too).

    My point was that although the person directly involved themself in something they didn't need to, is that really sabotage if there's a lesson to be learned? If more sinister people in that lab have a habit of doing that type of thing, it's something the computer user should know. The idea behind it is that what they've lost is less valuable than the lesson they learned (again, this is only true if that type of sabotage really does happen in the lab). Similarly, an undergrad setting up a reflux improperly loses the material in that reaction, but supposedly it's worth letting them do it to learn the lesson. The intent is the same, but the method is different.

    I'm not saying that what the person did was right, I definitely wouldn't touch something like that just to teach someone a lesson and I'd be REALLY mad if someone did it to me. But if the intent isn't malice, then I don't know if I'd consider that sabotage.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I thought it was sabotage. I was tuning a custom oven to be used with 3/4" OD 6" high $600 (1988 dollars)YSZ tubes. I used a length of Aluminum rod as a place setter. So for hours I would turn the temp up(analog), note the stabilization temp. I came to the oven and no rod! It was my first couple months in a chem lab and I thought the guys were messing with me. There on the bottom of my oven was a pool of Al.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Can I have the duck? Ok, that might be unfair to the people who have dealt with this without getting favorable publicity.

    One point I do want to make is that, this happens, people do get caught, but generally they get fired (or warned) without other consequences. It takes a lot to make a prosecutable case, because if evidence is collected without warrants and confessions not acquired by police, you can't present them in court.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hmm is anyone elswe having problems with the images on this
    blog loading? I'm trying to figuree ouut if its a problem on my end or
    if it's the blog. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

    ReplyDelete

looks like Blogger doesn't work with anonymous comments from Chrome browsers at the moment - works in Microsoft Edge, or from Chrome with a Blogger account - sorry! CJ 3/21/20