Tuesday, December 17, 2013

Professional Science Master's in Chemistry?

Does anyone have experience with Professional Science Master's Degrees in chemistry?

(I recently chatted on Twitter with Jeff Terry (a physics professor at IIT) and he was pretty supportive of their PSM in analytical chemistry.)

There are 11 programs listed on the PSM degree website for chemistry: Case Western Reserve University, Illinois Institute of Technology, Indiana University of Pennsylvania, Missouri Western State University, Rutgers, The State University of New Jersey-New Brunswick, State University of New York at Buffalo, State University of New York at Oswego, Stony Brook University, Temple University, University of Massachusetts Lowell, University of North Texas.

I have some questions for readers:
  • Have you heard of any graduates of these programs? How are they fairing? 
  • Do these programs charge their students tuition, or is tuition paid for by company, or through the TA/RA route like more academic master's programs? 
  • What are these programs' track records in placing their graduates? Do they track their employment histories? 

2 comments:

  1. I know a few folks that went to the Keck Graduate Institute for their Master of Bioscience program. They generally paid their own tuition ~40 k/year for a two year program.

    In general, they were successful in finding work - to my knowledge.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm a graduate of the IIT PSM program in Analytical Chemistry. I think I'm doing pretty well, but I can't speak to the overall track record of the program or PSM programs in general. I already had a job going in to the program, and I think that's true of most of my fellow students. It does cost money (for IIT, maybe in the neighborhood of $35,000) and I don't think a TA or RA position is an option. My company paid for more than 90% of it, and again I think that was true for most of the people in the program. I would think carefully about (and be inclined against) any graduate program that you have to pay for yourself.

    ReplyDelete

looks like Blogger doesn't work with anonymous comments from Chrome browsers at the moment - works in Microsoft Edge, or from Chrome with a Blogger account - sorry! CJ 3/21/20